.:[Double Click To][Close]:.
Popular Post

No Beginning And No End: Philip by Jon Seneca



'Beauty is a form of genius -- is higher, indeed, than genius, as it needs no explanation. It is of the great facts in the world like sunlight, or springtime, or the reflection in dark water of that silver shell we call the moon.'
Oscar Wilde



I am not sure if I search for great artistry or whether it finds me. Regardless, when I see work I love, I get excited to see more, to learn more and to explore more out about the artist who created it. This is exactly what happened when I came upon the work of Jon Seneca from JSGPhotography. A couple of weeks ago I was searching for shots for a possible future feature on model Benjamin Godfre. A couple of clicks later I landed on Jon's ModelMayhem page and fell instantly in love with his work.




Often it is light that is talked about in connection to photography. Lately I find myself instead being interested in the dark. Jon's use of dark creates beautiful, erotic and emotional images with the light focused exactly where it should be, on the body, the subjec. Although Jon shoots in a variety of styles, there was something that stood out in the way in which he presented the 'dark' images on his page. I guess I identify more with adjectives which are usually associated with dark; night, secrecy, concealed, obscure and mysterious are far more interesting to me than bright and sunny. Mysterious is also how photographer Jon Seneca describes Philip, the model featured in here. 'He is an amazingly beautiful model.'.




'I shoot because its what I love to do. Some people don't get my approach, thats fine I'm not seeking approval. My success in making amazing shots is pretty much dependent on working with beautiful and interesting models.'

Jon says he is inspired by the work of photographers Hedi Slimane, Paul Reitz, Kris Kelly and Richard Avedon to name a few. Like Jon's work each of these photographers has the ability to simply and beautifully focus so directly on their subjects.

'I feel the need to document something beautiful in every subject I shoot, whether it be the amazing eyes of a 40 year old cracked out street walker to the perfectly sculpted abs of a 20 year old body builder. It's compulsory'



The quote that I began with by Oscar Wilde is one of Jon's favorites and permeates his work. Jon's website is entitled The Jon Seneca project and Jon says the project is one that has no beginning and has no end. 'I am constantly evolving as an artist. I use photography to document beauty in such a way as to offer insight.'

Jon Seneca on Twitter
Also check out more of Jon's work on his website HERE: & on Model Mayhem.